Saturday, February 12, 2011

Drastic measures

Ellie wrote about her husband:

You cannot know how much having someone "out there" helps. We did get an answer to the incontinence. Seems that his last artificial hip (gone thru 3!) has moved and broken a screw and is now into his pelvis. We have to go to a higher medical facility in our state and they are talking about amputating his entire leg, hip and possibly part of the pelvis that has been damaged. It seems that when he lays down, the ball part of the joint pushes his bladder and is wreaking havoc. I do not know what to do. He will be using a wheelchair after the surgery for the rest of his life and our mobile home is too small for him to even get into a bathroom. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get out of a home and into one that will accomodate a wheelchair when your credit has long since collapsed with all of the catastrophes? Funny, I have friends writing to Oprah to ask for help...somehow I don't think that's gonna work.

Ellie,

I am posting this just in case someone has some suggestions or "connections" that I unfortunately do not.  Wish I could do more.  My heart goes out to you, as it seems things just keep getting harder for you!  This surgery sounds extremely drastic, and more than a little scary.  If it were my husband, I would be asking a lot of questions about other alternatives, and probably also getting a second opinion . . . all of which I know is hard when time and money are in short supply.  I know there are also (motorized?) wheelchairs out there that take up less space, that I think Medicaid/Medicare would cover.  Don't know if that would work in your mobile home?

Does anyone else out there have suggestions or connections???  If so, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment