Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Frequent Falls and Bruises

Hubby has been using a wheeled walker with a seat off and on the last few days.  Finally decided to try it after another fall that left him with a nasty bruise on the back of his thigh, and a painful hip.  Don't know how much of the falling is from spinal stenosis, how much is from neuropathy/lack of feeling, and how much is from the low blood pressure that hits him every time he gets up from a seated position.  My feeling is that it is probably a combination of all three. 

I have already told him he needs to be more careful, because if he falls and breaks a hip, I won't be able to take care of him at home.  The thought of that scares both of us, and I'm also wondering at what point I will no longer be able to leave him alone for extended periods of time.  Will I be able to get someone else to watch out for him when I am working, or if I want to take a trip?  Traveling has gotten so difficult, we haven't really attempted it together in the last few years.  Scared for him, but also for me too, as I'm thinking my world could get a lot more limited as this progresses and he needs more care.  Am I selfish for feeling this way?

Also, prayers go out to Wife of a Diabetic, whose husband continues to struggle with many complications in the hospital.  Wishing them both all good things!

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers go out to you! I did want to comment on the low BP as it is not very common and many doctors admit they do not know what to do. My husband did break his hip at the ripe old age of 51 due to this. He is now on 2 medications that have helped a great deal (recommended by our pharmacist) Midodrine and Florinef. The 2 have really helped with the falls after change of position.
    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do some research on those meds, thank you. Don't know if it is something he can take, but it is worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete